Sunday, April 04, 2010

It is a bittersweet day in many ways. I think the Church again has done a good job with the readings for Easter. The Abbot at Cistercian said, 'The doubt about the Resurrection must be confronted.' As a child, I recall a nun talking about what age we would be resurrected at. The answer was 30. The Church in its first readings has Peter saying Christ appeared to those he wanted to appear to (which could also imply the other way around). Probably most poignantly the Abbot captured the moment when he said that, putting ourselves in the Easter story as it evolves in John's Gospel, are in loss and suspense and may be of 2 minds in grief or disbelief and hope, but that St. Paul should be taken seriously that 'the eye has not seen or comprehended what resurrection would be like' but don't hope for being 30. Also we have the last words of Christ from one of the Gospels, in a sense each a different religion as the Scripture expert I recently referred to says, 'My God, my God, why has thou forsaken me?'

No comments: